- Students under the age of 17 must complete a supervised driving period of 50 hours (10 at night) for a period of no less than 6 months with no traffic convictions. The 6 month period will restart with any traffic violation or restriction violation.
- During the supervised driving period students may only drive with a valid licensed driver 21 years of age or older sitting in the seat beside the student. (no passengers are allowed in the front seat). Also all occupants must be seat belted or restrained by a child restraint. Students must have the permit in their immediate possession, as well as observe all laws regarding alcohol or other intoxicating substances.
- After the supervised driving period students may apply for a Class D driver’s license. They will be required to first pass a driving skills test, then Idaho’s general knowledge test and will be restricted to daylight only driving until age 16.
- All licensed drivers and student drivers under the age of 17 are subject to the following penalties:
A warning letter on the 1st violation
A minimum 30-day suspension for a second violation.
A minimum 60-day suspension for a 3rd or subsequent violation.
- GDL Made Simple Video
- Graduated Driver Licensing Fact Sheet